|Oatmeal muffin with dried cranberries.|
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but between getting ready for work and school, it can also be the easiest to skip. That's where these muffins come in. Easy to make the night before, they ensure you send everyone in the family away with a hearty breakfast. These also freeze really well and make for a hot breakfast after 45 seconds in the microwave. The key here is to not overbake the muffins. Pull them from the oven when they seem just shy of being done. They will cool to perfection. If you bake until an inserted knife comes clean, you will end up with dry hockey pucks that nobody wants to eat.
My standard recipe is to add 1/4 cup of sliced almonds and 1/2 cup of orange-flavored dried cranberries. Other popular variations include: 1/2 cup frozen blueberries; 1/2 cup chopped fresh apple and 1/2 cup diced dried apricots; and 1/2 cup dried cranberries and 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips.
Oatmeal MuffinsMakes 12-16 muffins
|Oatmeal muffin with fresh apple|
and dried apricot.
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup packed brown sugar or turbinado sugar
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 "flax eggs"
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce (pumpkin puree or mashed banana also works)
- Dried or fresh fruit (1/2 cup dried cranberries; fresh or frozen fruit works well too)
- Nuts (slivered almonds, chopped walnuts)
- Make 3 "flax eggs" by whisking together 3 tablepoons of ground flaxseed with 9 tablespoons of warm water (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water). Store in refrigerator while assembling remaining ingredients (at least 15 minutes).
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients until blended well
- Slowly stir dry ingredients into the mixed wet ingredients.
- Stir in any optional ingredients such as dried/fresh fruit or nuts. Allow mixture to rest.
- Line muffin tin with paper liners or grease with cooking spray or coconut oil.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tin, packing until level with rim.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack. Serve solo or with coconut oil.