Thursday, March 21, 2013

Getting Juiced

I've recently begun to experiment with juicing, thanks to receiving a Breville Compact Juice Fountain from my employer-sponsored wellness program. Even though I had been planning to spend $100 on a juicer, getting it for free makes it even better.

Juicing is something I've shied away from for some time, fearing that even fresh juices would contain too much concentrated sugar for my altered digestive tract to handle. However, in keeping with my goal for the year of filling my body with more good stuff to make less room for bad stuff, I decided to risk it. Juicing may concentrate sugars but it also concentrates all nutrients, meaning that it's like a straight shot of vitamins and minerals our bodies desperately need.

For the past week, I've alternated between two green juice recipes every day. I haven't suffered any ill effects. If anything, it's been all positive. I've noticed a reduction in appetite, an increase in energy and general sense of wellness. Combined with a green smoothie every day, I've managed to almost double the amount of vegetables and fruits I'm consuming each day.

Here's a sample of what I've been "eating" each day in the form of juices and smoothies: 1 bunch spinach, 1 head lettuce, 1/2 bunch kale, 8 stalks celery, 2 carrots, 2 apples, 1 orange, 1 beet, 1 pear, 1 banana and 1 lemon. That roughly 20 servings of fruits and veggies, not including the solid food I'm eating. Talk about a nutrient boost. I'm sharing my two favorite recipes so far. Feel free to share yours in the comments section.

Rise & Shine Juice

Rise & Shine Juice

(Loosely based on this recipe from RebootwithJoe.com)

Ingredients:
4-5 Swiss chard leaves with stems
4 stalks celery
2 carrots
1 beet (feel free to include greens)
2 oranges
1-inch piece of ginger

Directions:
Push all items in order through juice shoot. Stir and serve over ice or at room temperature. For best results, chill oranges in refrigerator overnight.

Eva's Magic Elixir

Eva's Magic Elixir

(Courtesy of my dear friend, Eva Knox)

Ingredients:
2 handfuls of spinach
2 stalks celery
2 carrots
1 orange (peel but leave as much white pith as possible)
1 apple
Optional additions: juice of 1 lemon, 1 lime or 1-inch piece of ginger


Directions:
Push all items in order through juice shoot. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment