Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Detox: Day 2

I've survived my first 24 hours of detox! It hasn't been easy, but I wouldn't say it's hard either. My biggest challenge was when preparing food Lily last night. I desperately wanted to chow down on the bread she was eating. But I managed to overcome the temptation.

Planning is definitely key for me. I have an hour set aside each night for me to prepare/pack my lunch and snacks for work the next day and also to prep my smoothie/juice ingredients. This saves a ton of time in the morning and prevents me from feeling like I don't have time to give my body the nutrients it needs.

Schedule

4:30 a.m. -- Wake Up
4:45 a.m. -- Warm Water with Lemon
6 a.m. -- Morning Juice: Kale, Beet, Orange, Apple, Ginger, Celery
7 a.m. -- Office
8 a.m. -- Kim Snyder GGS: Lettuce, Spinach, Celery, Apple, Pear, Banana
Noon -- Lunch: Soup & Salad
3 p.m. -- Snack:
6 p.m. -- Dinner: Baked Sweet Potato Stuffed w/ veggies; Veggie Detox Soup
8 p.m. -- Herbal Tea
9 p.m. -- Bedtime

Side Effects/Reactions

I had some minor sweats/chills while sleeping last night and woke up with a painful headache. There's also a bad taste lingering in the back of my mouth. I attribute all of this to my body starting to shed its toxins. It's also a reminder to keep increasing my fluid intake to help flush my system.

Veggie Detox Soup

I'm a soup gal. Regardless of the time of year, I favor warm, soothing soups over anything cold and crunchy. I made up this recipe based on what I had on hand.

Ingredients
1 yellow onion, diced
1 cup celery, chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
1-inch knuckle of ginger, peeled and diced
1 med. daikon root (4-5 inches long), peeled and sliced
1 cup rutabaga, cubed
6-8 tablespoons low-sodium vegetable broth powder (I use Frontier brand)
4-6 cups water
2 tablespoons miso paste

Directions
1. Saute onion in a stock pot with just enough water to prevent sticking. Cook until onion is translucent.
2. Add celery, ginger and garlic and cook a few minutes more.
3. Add all other ingredients except for miso paste and bring to a boil.
4. Simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
5. Turn off heat, stir in miso and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment